Tuesday, September 24, 2013

3ft! Sweet Bar and Electric Trikes

Gov. Brown signs '3 ft for cyclists' law

I think this is great news for the cycling community.   In addition, maybe there is a flickering of recognition that there are alternatives to DRIVING Everywhere. 


Sweet Bar:  Totally 5 star    
Per my earlier posts, I spent most of August and a bit of Sept. in Spain, Germany and the Czech Republic and sampled a fair number of baked goods and cappuccinos.  It is most disappointing that in these 3 countries, espresso drinks come mostly from the automatic machines.  Some friends recently cycled through France and Spain and found the same situation.
Anyway, earlier this week, I happened to be down near Broadway and 24th in Oakland, and stopped into Sweet Bar Bakery.  Their croissants and espresso drinks put to shame any that I had in Europe!  So now the question is: Why even leave NorCal? 

When 2 wheels aren’t enough: 

The month of sedentary vacation took a heavy toll on my fitness, and as I am doing the BORP Revolution ride on Saturday (Sept 28), I took an long (55mi) ride today, basically so I could do my suffering in private.  The route was Lake Merritt to Danville and back, with a stop at La Boulange in Danville (see blog post for Monday, July 8).  On the way back, I rode a bit on the Moraga-Lafayette trail and came across a gent on a trike with electric assist.

It isn’t fast, but he said it could go up reasonable hills, and it has a big red cargo box on the back – great for grocery shopping!  He said he had given up owning a car and just rents one when necessary.

BTW:  BORP – Advancing lives of people with disabilities through sports and recreational activities.   www.borp.org

No comments:

Post a Comment